And, don’t get me wrong, there were some good ones in there (e.g., “I was here, but I fell asleep in the parking lot.”), but I had a sneaking suspicion that some of the readers of this blog had heard some better ones.
I was right.
In no particular order, and without revealing the identity of the reader, enjoy:
- Employee was three hours late and claimed his tardiness, which was due to “flooding,” forcing him to take a different way to work. (Company is in a major metropolitan area; employee lives 15 minutes from work; it was drizzling.)
- A young man (approx. 21 yrs old) was always late on Mondays….not just minutes late, but an hour or more. When I questioned him, he told me he had a ‘sleeping disorder.’ Turns out that he confided in a co-worker that his ‘sleeping disorder’ was that he didn’t sleep because he partied all weekend! This is the same young man that I begged the company’s owner NOT to hire – because he was late for his interview – by an hour!
- (Pay attention here, Ok…) My employee had missed two days of work. When he arrived on day three, he told me that he had been in a fight with his girlfriend’s husband. He (the husband) then refused to let him use the car to come to work!
- EE calls at 2:30 for 3:00 start letting me know she couldn’t come in ‘because she had to do laundry.’ I asked if she knew this before 2:30 and she said, “no.”
- I was on time, but I dropped the cake I made for a coworker getting out of my car and had to go home and bake another.
- Bank teller on final written warning. Was late 45 min. Her excuse was, “I left early, and everything was fine until the car in front of me stopped. I hit my brakes and stopped in time, but it scared me so bad, I [pooped] my pants. I had to go home to shower and change. You can come smell my car seat if you think I’m lying.” I declined the sniff test, and gave her a “get out of jail free” for the incident.
Have a great weekend!